Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Write Sense

It's funny to write about writing. A bit like the serpent that starts eating its own tail! But its so much fun, as I'm recently discovering, that I lose track of time.

I'll tell you what happens. An idea pops up into my head. And suddenly, its as if someone else has possessed me. Paolo Coelho has described this beautifully in his book- "The Zahir". It becomes an obsession of sorts, especially if you can't find a keyboard handy. Words flow, but more than the words, its the story that enslaves the writer.

I guess a novelist has to be a little schizophrenic, since he needs to live out his main characters and pit them against each other. I'm writing a book now, and I'm caught in exactly the same frenzy. The central premise is very clear to me, (thanks to my friend Prasad who caught me in time and asked me to take a step back) and so are the characters. The end I'm not so sure of. As for the actual story, it is writing itself through the main characters!

On a side note, I wonder how some authors write big books.and not key them in, by the way. Just yesterday, I tried to write something, and it was painful. I wonder if different thoughts would come to mind if I write instead of type? Have to try that out soon...

0 comments: