Monday, January 4, 2010

Counting Murders


I've discovered a new way to fall asleep, which I must share with you. The method is to go to a bookstore and buy yourself a slim volume of short suspense stories. I think it works really well. I did so recently(Alfred Hitchcock's collection) and I'm ever so grateful. Sherlock Holmes classics work well too.

I don't know about you, but any sort of suspense writing allows me to hang my disbelief, knife my logic and slow poison any loop in the story. To generate sleep,of course, it can't be a novel. It has to be short stories, other wise it doesn't work. Suspense set in Americana, Europe, or quaint other places, where people wear "overcoats" and go to the "lavatory" perhaps and smoke bitter cigars. And then find bodies in the library.

The moment you have relaxed into the charm of the book and feel like nodding off- you can! Of course, as soon you find out who did it, which isn't too long.

The story count was two before I nodded off. Much better than millions of sheep.


0 comments: