Monday, February 1, 2010

Uncommon Sense

I was introduced to this wonderful, different book that is unlike the usual claptrap that you encounter in management. More than ever, I now know that what I consider "my common sense" may not be common at all....

Your common sense is based upon your unique strengths, and therefore, unique to you. Strengths that you may not be fully aware of, and taking for granted at times.

By the way, this book is called "Now, discover your strengths" and is written by Marcus Buckhingham.It introduces yourself to the strongest part of you, the part which can allow your strengths to manifest through you and make your career and company more successful.

A key reason why I found it fascinating was the fact that I had independently reached similar conclusions through my second book. I have just completed writing it. It's a management story which runs around a parallel thought process to this one. Of course, I have a point of view that differs from some bits of this book, but in general, this book validates the story that I have written with a lot of research.

But enough about my book for now, let me give this one its due. What I loved is it preaches managing on strengths, not weaknesses. For people who prefer management as non-fiction (Hah. is this a paradox?) ,this is an excellent read that can change the way you work.



1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm. Will try to buy this book over the weekend.Sounds rather interesting.