Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Facebook Hermit


I've been trying to understand this social networking phenomenon- you know- twitter, orkut, Facebook.. and understanding how and why it works. This, of course, is not idle curiosity- I'm applying whatever I learn for clients in some way or the other.

Of course, it means different things to different people, but the reason why I may be liking Facebook is because it allows me to be a hermit and still stay connected. What I've noticed about all of my friendships is I'm really lousy at keeping them when I move into a different situation or context. It isn't as if I don't want to stay in touch, but the busyness of life and my short term memory usually screws things up. Like people's birthday's for example.

Now, I am connecting with a lot of my erstwhile friends, made from different times- school, college, different jobs- and just looking at posted photos and stuff helps me stay in touch and reminded of all the good times had with people.

A small technological joy even for the biggest luddite.

0 comments: