Friday, October 24, 2008

AkashKandil

This is my favourite Diwali story. Years ago, I used to work in Mumbai, and travel to Pune for each weekend. I used to dread going back to Mumbai by train. The dread started when the train used to hit those ungainly, ugly and squalid suburbs. It had many terrible sights, and the fact that it was kind of dark helped me a little since I saw less of the filth.

That year, Diwali was on a weekend, and after a nice round of festivities, I was headed back to where my dread was. But this time it was different. As soon as I reached those suburbs, they had all miraculously transformed. Each hut, each small chawl room had a bright Akashkandil sparkling away. Instead of the normal bad view, it was spectacular lighting- one room at a time.

There is something about an Akashkandil that makes you calm. Try staring at one today.

2 comments:

MOHAMMED FARHAN KHAN said...

Hello Siddharth sir,
haven't u written any entry from many days, wat happen, Is everything alright?

wel take care ofurself,
bye
Allah Hafiz

Siddharth said...

Hey Mohammed,

I was out on holiday! glad to be back, though. Thanks for asking..