Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Decoding Mumbo Jumbo


When I'd heard the term "Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)", I'd instantly started yawning. It seemed to me one of those new agey- fad-like- mumbo- jumbo things that no one really understands. Although people still kept throwing it in as a buzzword in a conversation as if they knew what they were saying. It also put me off because I thought it mainly consisted of "how to brainwash and manipulate others" kinda thing.

Talk about forming an opinion before really understanding a subject! In my defence, NLP is such a poor name for something so strength-giving.

I changed my mind when I read (and subsequently re-read) a wonderful book by Sue Knight called "NLP at work". The book explains terms like hypnosis, changing your mental scripts, using NLP for work-life, coaching, mentoring and life in general.

While I don't agree with all of the concepts presented- I still think there's a lot there that can make your life better.Written in a very easy to read, non- mystical and non- arrogant way, its for anyone who wants to change their life's script for the better.

Mumbo- Jumbo decoded. Worth a read.




0 comments: