Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Jerk in all of Us


All of us have a hidden jerk lurking about within. A nasty moody person who's surly and crap to be with. Unfortunately, this ba.....d is the same guy who can be more daring, creative and impact- creating than the rest of our personality.

Now I'm not for a moment advocating that we let this jerk rule who we are completely, but don't we need to find a balance between different parts of who we are and accept them? Even the jerk inside us.

That's what the "Social Network" did to me: it showed me how different personalities and value systems play out when confronted with an idea. A mind blowing film, it makes you think about so many things: loyalty, differing value systems, an inventor's mind, a supporter's mind- and what it really takes to make an impact on the world. Without really delving into the film and being spoiler, I'd like to recommend it for the absolutely absorbing watch that it is. I love the treatment: there is no right or wrong.

It just is.


2 comments:

Nora said...

Could the last comment be removed as it is against a group of people and treats them as all the same? Besides it takes away from the discussion at hand and onto another subject: treating all people of one religion as if they are interchangeable. I do not know what his or your religion is but i would never generalize in this way. It is cruel and it is inaccurate.
Please would someone remove it. What would be better is to make this person know a few of the wonderful Jewish people i have known but that is not possible for the poster. Still it might give him a balanced view. We can all do things that exploit others or we can decide to "exploit" ourselves by developing our talents and maintaining the cooperation of others.
I think that when i am in the zone of creativity it is better to be alone than to be a jerk. I warn them and if they interrupt me...

Siddharth said...

newnoz:

Comment removed. Although I'm sure that the commenter was just fooling around,and not really meaning it, I take the point.

By the way- very interesting viewpoint on the zone of creativity. take a look at this, I think you'll like it: http://www.ted.com/talks/jason_fried_why_work_doesn_t_happen_at_work.html